Wednesday 8 May 2013

Onion Pakoda ... my 'Feel good food'!

I brand onion pakoda as 'Feel good food'! This is a snack which I think of, when I am feeling blue or sad (homesickness counts too). On such days when all you want is just pull the duvet over your head and stay in bed all day, you need to have food that will make you feel the world is indeed a better place to live :D (pardon my exaggeration!)
For me this was a popular snack prepared at home during my childhood days and they were exactly the ones that I learned to cook first :) At home, it so became that whenever pakodas or banana fritters had to be made, amma would task me to do them! So the tradition continued, I remember I made those even when Nikhil's family came to see me for the first time before our wedding got fixed ;)
So let me share this easy-to-make onion pakoda recipe with you all.

Onion Pakoda 
Onion Pakodas- My 'Feel good food'


Ingredients:
2 Onions, large and finely sliced
1&1/4 cup Chickpea/ Besan flour 
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 - 3/4 tsp Red chilli powder
3 - 4 Green chillies, finely chopped
small piece Ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup Coriander leaves, chopped
Salt, to taste
Oil, for deep frying


Method:
  • In a large bowl, rub a little salt into the sliced onions.This is to bring out the natural juices from the onions so that we can reduce the water to be added later.
  • To the onions, add the besan flour, turmeric powder, chilli powder and finely chopped ginger. Mix well at this stage with hands.
  • Add water by sprinkling little at a time. Mix well until the mixture is well combined. 
  • Add the coriander leaves, finely chopped green chillies and salt to taste and mix well again with spoon. The batter should be considerably thick and not have a runny consistency.
  • Heat oil in a deep pan. Spoon the mixture and drop into the almost smoky hot oil cautiously. Fry until golden brown.
  • Drain on kitchen paper towels before serving.

    Notes: I do not make big pakodas as I like them small and crispier. We usually have two dips as accompaniments, one is the common tomato ketchup and the other is tangy tamarind sauce.
                                      ♥ Thank You ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...